When you were a kid your school probably had chocolate milk. As there are in most schools in the USA. But would it probably surprise you that there is a big debate in the USA right now about chocolate milk in schools. Many are people very passionate about it. So you may ask, why not have it? Well some reasons chocolate milk should not be served in schools are the human body is not made to digest it, it has little to no nutritional value and it can lead to many kinds of health problems.
Many people drink milk, but don’t think of it as the cause of cramps or diarrhea. “The fact is: the drinking of cow’s milk has been linked to iron-deficiency anemia in infants and children”. “ It has been named as the cause of cramps and diarrhea in much of the world’s population,” says Dr,Frank A. Oski. Human bodies aren’t made to digest cow’s milk, which is another reason chocolate milk should not be served in schools. By making it more enjoyable for kids we are subjecting them to pain.
The main selling point for milk is its ‘nutritional value’. Which it has hardly any of. “Clinical research shows that dairy products have little or no benefits for bones.” So I ask you why submit yourself to pain when it does nothing for your overall health. Which is another reason why chocolate milk should not be served in schools.
The sugary milk can also lead to many health problems, in the short term obesity and type 2 diabetes. In the long run it can lead to heart disease and cancer. As the people of PETA(People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) say “milk can have long term effects on health. In the short term, high levels of cholesterol and saturated fat can lead to obesity and type 2 diabetes, PETA says. But in the long term, cholesterol and saturated fat can lead to heart disease or cancer.” After reading that I thought about the younger kids who don’t know about this and drink chocolate milk without knowing the consequences of their actions. That is another reason why I think we should not serve chocolate milk in schools.
Chocolate milk should not be served in schools because the human body is not made to digest it, it has little to no nutritional value and can lead to many kinds of health problems. Now that you know why I think chocolate milk should not be served at schools, what do you think? If you also believe that chocolate milk should not be served in schools, take part in debates to help others notice what is going on to help the schools get rid of chocolate milk.